Bacon + Zucchini = Bacchini Muffins! This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and super light and fluffy. Great as a breakfast snack, morning tea or putting in kids lunch boxes.
This Sunday (13 Jan) we have Fit Wars 5, the South Australian CrossFit comp held in Adelaide (Wayville Pavilion - get amongst it if you're in the area!) and I'll be bringing these little beauties as a nutritious snack for our team from CrossFit Tenacity!
What you need:
- 2 Cups grated zucchini
- 4 Rashes of finely diced short cut bacon
- 4 Eggs (separated)
- 2/3 Cup LSA mix (linseed, sunflower and almond)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons chives
- 1/2 cup reserved liquid from squeezing the grated zucchini
- pinch of Himalayan salt and some ground pepper
- muffin tray
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180deg C
- In a frypan cook the bacon until it is crispy - this will take approximately 10 minutes and then put aside in a bowl or straight into the fridge/freezer to cool down.
- Grate the zucchini, and then in a tea towel/cheese cloth squeeze out the liquid into a bowl (don't throw this away!)
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks in two bowls. Whisk the egg whites together until you get soft peaks.
- Add the LSA, cooled bacon, zucchini, chives, baking powder, salt and pepper, and 2/3 cup of the reserved liquid from the zucchinis to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix together.
- Add a small amount of the egg whites to the mix (just a spoonful) and fold through, then add a little more at a time trying to keep the mixture light - DON'T OVER MIX THIS! You just want the egg whites to be only just mixed in, if there's some egg white that's not fully mixed - that's OK too!
- You might want to line the muffin tray with some cup cake papers, or with some coconut oil as the eggs like to stick to the side of the pan.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray and put in the oven for 15minutes.
- The muffins are going to rise in the oven and you're going to get all excited (I did) but be prepared for them to sink (boooo!) just like a soufflé, because that's what we are actually making here. But soufflés sound hard and muffins are a much easier sell!
- Take the muffins out of the oven once the tops are golden and they are spongy on top.
- Cool down on a rack and then try not to eat them all at once!
Like the Grow Eat Run Facebook Page