If you can slice up vegetables and stir a pot, then you can cook this soup. It's not fussy or complicated and apart from the 30mins bubbling over the stove preparation is done in 15 minutes. This recipe has been adapted from one I saw online and I have switched a few ingredients for it to be a paleo friendly meal without losing any adventurous flavours and still enough to fill you up.
What you will need:
2 chorizo sausages (sliced)
1 onion (finely diced)
2 stalks celery (finely diced)
1 carrot (finely diced)
1 sweet potato (roughly diced)
3 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 tsp chilli (fresh or dried)
1 tsp marjoram leaves
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato paste
400g can of tomatoes
1 litre chicken stock
- Fry off the sliced chorizo in a pot big enough for the whole soup.
- once the chorizo is cooked and smelling delicious take it out of the pot and onto a plate, but keep all the lovely juices in the pot that the chorizo has left behind
- add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot all to the pot and stir through occassionally for 2 -3 minutes
- add the sweet potato, herbs and spices and stir through the vegetable mix for 2-3 minutes
- add the tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato paste
- bring to a simmer and stir occasionally for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato has softened
- add the chorizo back to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes
For more information on they paleo way of life you can find it here: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/
Not all my meals are based on a paleo diet but I'm finding it interesting to look at recipes and seeing where I can make them less based on carbohydrates and replacing them with vegetables.