There's been a few soups lately so I thought it was time to add some recipes that were a little more on the sweet side. This teacake is gluten free, dairy free and the only sugar comes from the natural sweetness of agave syrup, the dried apricots and the orange juice. But as always, deserts are a sometimes food - not an always food! Road tested on my husband, mum and dad who all gave it several thumbs up. So enjoy the indulgence!
What you need:
- 2 cups almond meal (the unbleached kind)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots
- 1 cup orange juice (if you can squeeze yourself - that the best option, or get natural orange juice with no added sugar)
- 1/2 vanilla bean (cut a whole vanilla bean down the side and scrape out the seeds from one half)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil/coconut butter
- Soak the dried apricots in the orange juice and leave for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (or 200 deg C if you have a horrible oven like me!)
- Whip the eggs with the agave syrup, vanilla and coconut oil until the eggs have turned a pale yellow.
- In a bowl add the almond meal and baking powder and mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the egg mix to the dry ingredients and stir. Add the apricots and the orange juice and stir to combine.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and pour in the cake mix.
- Bake for 25 minutes (check at 20 minutes) or until golden brown on top and cooked in the middle (insert a knife in the centre, if it comes out clean - it's cooked).
- Let the cake cool on a rack/bench before you cut it up and share with your mates.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions I'd love to hear them!