Wednesday 4 July 2012

Wow what have I done! I've signed up for the Melbourne Marathon!

Melbourne Marathon Festival.  I usually associate the word 'festival' with fun, eating bad food, laughing, smiling and all around enjoyment, but I don't think this is going to be that kind of festival!  I'm not sure where to start, 42.198km is a long way - but there are many more kilometres to run before October 14 and lots of training sessions.  Preparing mentally is going to be just as important, training my mind that I can do it, can keep going and can finish.  

To give you some background, I love running - it's just that I have always competed to finish after running 200m max!  I only started running longer distances last year, ran my first half marathon in April the year (yay me!), and am one of those crazy CrossFitters that will tell you how awesome functional fitness is and why you should do it too!  Running a marathon for me will be a huge challenge, but one I know I can prepare for and conquer.  The thought of running to the finish line on the hallowed grass of the Melbourne Cricket Ground is a great way to start the excitement but the feeling I will get for finishing and the self accomplishment is what I'm looking forward to.
  
So for the next four months, I'll try and track my progress, training and nutrition and write how I'm feeling closer to the run and I hope you get some inspiration to challenge yourself!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the training! I can't wait to cheer you on in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm going to need all the cheering I can get, and when it comes from friends it's means so much more! x

    ReplyDelete